When you’re looking for a lasting solution to unwanted hair, laser hair removal is a popular medical procedure used to get rid of facial and body hair. It is a procedure that uses a specially focused beam of light. This beam is absorbed by melanin, a biochemical in the hair, and converted to heat. It “zaps” the hair follicle to slow or stop growth more effectively.
There are a few things to consider about an approaching Laser Hair Treatment appointment with Heartland Plastic & Hand Surgery Med Spa in Cape Girardeau, MO, we discuss them here:
How to Prepare For Your Laser Treatment
It is advisable to plan a meeting with one of our specialists before the laser removal procedure to determine if you are a good candidate for the treatment. At your consultation, they will:
- Check your past medical history, including medication use, any skin disorder, and previous hair removal events and their outcome.
- Discuss with you the benefits and risks of the hair removal procedure.
- Analyze your skin type
- Take your photo before the procedure for future reviews.
On the treatment day, below are the expected preparations unless directed otherwise by your health care provider.
- You should have a freshly cleaned skin free of lotions or other skincare products.
- It is important to shave the treatment area no sooner than 24 hours before the procedure. It is not advisable to wax, tweeze, or use chemicals before and in between laser treatment. Laser treatment targets the hair roots, and the only way to ensure they are present is by shaving.
- Avoid sun exposure or use of UV beds two weeks before the treatment.
- Evade applying products that cause photosensitivity on the treatment area for 72 hours before the treatment.
What You Can Expect During Your Treatment
After the initial appointment, the doctor will determine if you are an ideal candidate for the procedure. The laser technician will inquire about your health history to determine if there are any contradicting treatments to the process.
You will discuss your treatment desires with the technicians and inform them of the areas you’d like to rid of hair. The treatment area will be thoroughly cleaned for treatment preparation. The technician will also talk you through the procedure to avoid any surprises.
What to Expect After the Laser Treatment Procedure
- It is normal to notice some redness and swelling in the treatment area. This redness and swelling are not permanent and may last for several days.
- Lightening of the skin as well as minor tenderness to the touch are common after laser hair removal. Lightening is more prevalent in dark skinned patients and not noticeable at all in fair skinned patients. Side effects usually disappear within a couple of days.
- You can use hydrocortisone, Aloe Vera, or ice to ease discomfort in the treatment area.
- After the laser treatment procedure, avoid sunlight and tanning beds for six weeks and apply SPF30 sunscreen daily.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the Body Areas that Cannot Be Treated With Laser?
All body parts can be treated with the laser best suited for the skin type.
Is Laser Hair Removal Painful?
Laser treatment is less painful compared to other hair removal procedures, like waxing. Most laser devices are equipped with Dynamic Cooling Devices to ensure both comfort and safety of the skin.
How Many Treatments Do I Need?
Most patients require a second treatment approximately one month after their initial appointment. Occasionally, up to six treatments may be necessary to obtain the desired result, depending on skin color and hair type.
Schedule a Consultation
If you have any questions concerning laser hair removal procedures, you can schedule a consultation with Heartland Plastic & Hand Surgery Med Spa in Cape Girardeau, MO, by calling or filling out our online contact form. Here, you’ll be in the hands of experienced technicians who will provide you with the best services for your desired aesthetic goals!